Hands-free Card Holder

Last month’s CD-disk card holder tutorial was so wildly popular that I figured folks might find today’s hands-free card holder tutorial to be useful as well.

After all, some kids lack the motor skills to hold cards at all, yet they would still enjoy playing card games with family and friends.
Just like the first, this card holder is quick to make and very inexpensive.
It isn’t limited just to playing cards, either. It can be used to hold picture symbol cards for non-verbal communicators to choose with eye gaze. Feel free to make it longer or shorter to meet your needs.
For playing cards or communication cards, this holder
is quick and very inexpensive to make.

All you need is a pool noodle (our dollar store carries them for a buck; each 4-foot noodle makes 6 card holders) and a serrated knife. You can use an electric carving knife (an ideal device for cutting foam and the only reason I have one) or a serrated bread knife. Since most people have access to a low-tech bread knife, that’s what we’ll use in this tutorial.

You simply need an inexpensive pool noodle
and a serrated bread knife.

Measure 15-16” from one end. Cut down through the foam using your serrated knife.
Cut straight down as though you were slicing a loaf of bread.
15 - 16" is a good length, but feel free to make yours longer or shorter.

Now slice lengthwise through the center of the piece. Try to keep the slice as straight as you can. Also try to stay in the middle so both halves are equal.
Slice down through the center to make two halves.
Set the slice, flat side down, on a table. At the peak of the arch, use your knife to cut a slot 1 /4 -1/2” deep the full length. It might help to draw a straight line with a Sharpie marker, both for you to follow with the knife and for your child to see the slot.
Drag your serrated knife along the top of each half,
allowing the blade to cut only 1/4 - 1/2" deep to
create a slot.

To use the card holder, simply slide the cards into the slot.

Rest the holder, flat side down, on a table.

There you go! Easy, inexpensive, and hands-free!
If you like what you see on Adapting Creatively, sign up to follow. You’ll be part of a growing group of parents and educators working together to meet the needs of our kids with disabilities in creative ways.

13 comments:

Galen said...

One of my sons has hemiplegia and others were pretty uncoordinated, so we came up with a solution: using an inverted box with a lid. http://galensspot.blogspot.com/2011/06/another-idea-for-hands-free-card-holder.html

Rose-Marie said...

Galen, such a practical, simple, quick and free solution! I love this!! Thanks for sharing.

Shhhhh, I'm not telling what clever thing this clever lady did, so anyone interested will just have to hop over to Galen's blog (http://galensspot.blogspot.com/2011/06/another-idea-for-hands-free-card-holder.html) and take a peek. Page hits are always encouraging to a blogger, pass your encouragement on to her by stopping by!

Unknown said...

LOVE this! You are so inventive.:)

Rose-Marie said...

Wow, thanks so much! YOU, my friend, are the Queen-of-Creativity, so this means a LOT!

KDSmith said...

Wonderful, wonderful! Such a great idea! Thank you :)

Rose-Marie said...

Thanks, KD! I hope you find it useful.

Katie said...

This is such a great idea! I have included it in my What Can You Make with a Pool Noodle Round Up. If for any reason you would like me to exlude your project please let me know and I will take it out immediately.

Thanks again for sharing!

Rose-Marie said...

Katie, thanks for including the card holder in your Pool Noodle Round Up! I love the ideas you have shared there; some are soooo amazing! PS: Some of those ideas make great adapted play activities too! I hope everyone check's out Katie's link--fun stuff!

Amanda said...

I have to make a piece of adaptive equipment for an assignment for my OTA program and I think this is a great idea and would like to make it! I was wondering if I could use your pictures and instructions for my handouts for the assignment? Thanks!!

Rose-Marie said...

Hi Amanda,

Sure! Ideas are born to be shared. Of course, I'd appreciate you citing that the pictures came from the AdaptingCreatively blog.

Good luck on your assignment.
Rose-Marie

Anonymous said...

My husband had a stroke and struggles with holding some items like multiple cards. Thank you for this beautiful idea

Rose-Marie said...

I'm so glad this is useful for you. I hope it makes it easier for your husband to enjoy a pleasant leisure activity such as cards.

Penny said...

I think this would be a great idea for folks in assisted living or nursing homes, too.